Turismo Valdegovia montescorzo edificio

about valdegovía

services ir

history and art

live valdegovía

what to see

valderejo

Forumsir

Screensaversir

Contactir


Villanueva de Valdegovía

Villanueva de Valdegovía

Villanueva is the administrative centre of Valdegovía district council. It occupies a key strategic location on the main linking road for the valley, more or less in the centre of the whole district and as a result roughly equidistant from any of the more remote villages under its charge. The fact that the Town Hall is here means Villanueva possesses the public services that are generally associated with such a function .

Other communal services include: village school, resident doctor, chemist, sub-post office and various eating places.

The village dates back to prehistoric times, more specifically the Iron Age of which there are traces in the hamlet of Pico de San Pedro.

The village saw Roman times through and later experienced intense repopulation by people in search of peaceful places and land on which to settle, once the danger of Moorish raids had disappeared.

There was a dispute between the XIV and XV centuries caused by the Valley not wishing to belong to Burgos. This was finally settled in the mid XV century by Enrique IV, when the area was adjudged to be governed in accordance with the Ordinances relating to communities of Alava.

During the invasion by Napoleon, this area saw the early stages of the Battle of Vitoria.

Calendar of Fiestas

Architectural heritage

•Santa María Parish Church

The parish church is dedicated to San Julián and Santa Basilisa. It has a single nave, and was rebuilt around the middle of the last century, keeping part of its early Romanesque structure. The square tower with belfry above is topped by a small, open metal spire. The old doorway has four Roman access arches, three to the front and one on the side.

Other notable buildings;

• Town Hall

The façade of the Town Hall is structured into three pronounced bays, the middle one being slightly blocked in and opening out on the ground floor in a hospitable entranceway, protected by artistic ironwork. On the main floor there is a continuous wooden balcony with turned balustrades and a wide handrail.

Small corbels project from the roof of the main floor, on which the elements used to support the overhanging eaves rest, in some cases the function being more decorative than structural.

Opposite this building is the fountain and drinking-trough dating back to 1860.

• Mansion House

Associated with the Angulo family of influential notaries and registrars, it has a very fine XVI century Renaissance doorway adorned by a handsome coat of arms.

• House with engravings

Although dating from the XIX century, this building has attractive, enigmatic workings in its stone framing.

• Mill

The old mill, which started milling operations in 1782, lies in the direction of Bóveda. The property is divided in Adras.

Social and Cultural facilities

Sports Facilities Services
Skittle-alley
Pelota courts
Indoor swimming pools
Football pitch
Library
Bar
Taxi
Bus
Caja Vital Kutxa branch office
Picnic areas
Fire station
Garage

back